Friday, September 5, 2008

#366 Delirium - Tremens

This is the beer entry in the Year of Beer. Somewhere along the way the count got off but I know this is the 366th beer because I started on September 6th and with the leap year I got one extra beer in the middle to reach the goal a day a short of a calender year. This is a repeat of the first beer so I can judge how far I have come in understand the taste of beer, the whole goal of this. I will make some final post in a few days about my favorite beers and final thoughts.

This beer has a strong Belgian spice flavor, with a hint of fruit. The color is a pale yellow and very cloudy, bit of sediment can be seen floating around. The head pours thick and active, it quickly fizzes down to a low covering with mild retention.

The flavor of this beer is full of Belgian spice with strong clove flavors, and some hint of banana. There is a bit of residual sweetness and a hint of malt. A very slight hint of alcohol is present in the taste, but it is appropriate for a 8.5% beer. The mouthfeel is thick and effervescent with bubble fizzing down the through. The finish is full of Belgian spice and a little dry.

This is a really tasty beer, my opinion on that has not changed over the year. I understand that it is the Belgian yeast giving the beer so much flavor, and a great hint of fruit. Still a good beer to enjoy on occasion.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Willie,

Congratulations on finishing your year of beer and Happy Birthday.

Love,
Mom

Mockwerks said...

I don't think my mom has ever congratulated me on drinking 365 beers.

Congrats on completing your quest.

Too bad you can do Year of Cider next...

Howard said...

I think July 6th is where the numbering system went off track. You had TWO beers that day. That usually screws up my ability to count too.

Congrats on a magnificent achievement. I have only sampled maybe 30 of these beers, and it's only because I live in Fort Collins and Colorado, where so many of the beers originate. Never realized just how lucky I was until now.

Anonymous said...

I just realized you are from STL. Great blog. Where do you usually drink in STL? Maybe I will run into you sometime.

Unknown said...

Good job, found your site looking for different beers to try. Have you ever been on Ratebeer.com? It is a great site that I am not affiliated with, but I thought you would like it. I live in Belleville and am wondering where you went to get your beers. Thanks